Friday, January 25, 2013

It's Too Darn Cold

Many important things have happened to me in the past week. I returned to the city, started my second semester at college, watched the first half of the six-hour BBC Pride & Prejudice…. All very significant life events. But the dominating feature of this truly remarkable week was the bitter, bitter cold. It’s Jotunheim. It’s Hoth. It’s the Third Circle of Dante’s Inferno*.

It’s too darn cold.
 
When I venture out of doors, the air assaults every exposed inch of my skin. The chill seeps into my clothes. My fingers burn, my legs tingle, my face suffers paralysis. I’m adopting a new platform, people: when pants lose their effectiveness, they are no longer worthy of being called pants. What I’d call them instead, I’m not sure. But I would make my disappointment known!

I’m certainly wimpy when it comes to the cold, but this is getting ridiculous. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that it is making my fashion choices ridiculous. I wrapped a scarf around my head before leaving for the bookstore on Wednesday night and had no regrets. I tried to look decently stylish for the first week of classes, but it eventually came down to not taking off my coat and scarf (around my neck like a normal person would have it) in most of them.

Fortunately I received a semi-stylish coat from Santa this year. And the scarf makes me look like Sherlock. Well, I’m a short eighteen-year-old girl; it would take a lot more to make me look like Sherlock. But it makes me feel like Sherlock.
 
DOWNSIDE TO COLD WEATHER: Pain, misery, anguish. Pants rendered ineffective.
UPSIDE TO COLD WEATHER: Sometimes I feel like Sherlock?

I cannot take this much longer.

-Bridget
 
*And the quantity of brownie-substance I consumed today would indicate that I belong there.

No comments:

Post a Comment